States Where Adoptees Can Access Birth Certificates

Below is an alphabetical list of the states that offer some type of access to birth records, along with URLs (addresses) for the required forms.  Keep in mind, that the laws change. All links are up to date as of this posting.

  • Alaska: Records open to adult adoptees age 18 or older. Bureau of Vital Statistics, Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, PO Box 110675, Juneau, AK 99811-0675
  • Colorado: Records are open for adoptions finalized between July 1, 1951 and June 30, 1976 or after 1999, unless the birthparent has filed a disclosure veto. Additional information and application is here-
  • Indiana: Records open for adult adoptees over the age of 21 for adoptions completed prior to January 1, 1994. Identifying information is released only of both the adoptee and the birth parent (named on birth certificate) file a written consent with the registry. Records prior to 1940 are released without court order or mutual consent. Consent form available here:
  • Illinois: People  born on or after Jan. 1, 1946 may obtain their non-certified birth certificate. Adopted or surrendered adults can request a non-certified copy of their original Illinois birth certificate. Only people who are at least 21 can receive a non-certified copy of their original birth certificate.
  •  Kansas: records are open for adult adoptees over the age of 18. Records must be requested through the Clerk of the District Court’s office in the county where the adoption took place. Information on birth certificate requests can be found here:
  • Montana: Adoptees whose adoption took place on or before 7-1-1967 can obtain a copy of the original birth certificate. Adoptions finalized between 7-1-1967 and 9-30-1997 require a court order. Adoptions finalized on or after 10-1-1997, can obtain a copy of the original birth as long as they are 18 and the birth parent has not requested non-disclosure. Request forms are here:

For some adoptees in these states, information gathering starts with a great leap forward!  If you have additional questions on how to request your records, call the Bureau of Vital Statistics for the state where you were born/adopted.

Ask them what the procedure is for requesting your original birth certificate and any other information held in your adoption file. If they are clueless, and you know the agency that placed you for adoption, call them and ask for more information.

6 thoughts on “States Where Adoptees Can Access Birth Certificates

  1. Hi my name is Jackie and I live in Florida and I’m on a very limited budget. I’m 46 and would love a copy of my original Birth certificate and adopted records. I have the ones that the judge gave my adopted parents of new birth certificate but I want original. Or even if there was an announcement of my birth in news paper. The problem is I was born in Hawaii and it was in 1965 a long tie ago. Thank to whom is reading this reply. Have a good day.

  2. A correction is in order… Indiana currently (as of 12/16/2017) has open adoption records for those who were adopted AFTER January 1, 1994 or prior to 1940. Adoptee records for those adopted between 1940 (1941?) and December 31, 1993 are sealed until July of 2018… unless there is a disclosure veto, which MAY REMAIN IN FORCE AFTER THE DEATH OF THE BIRTH PARENT, FOREVER if the B-parent indicates that on the DV form. This is the dreaded “Zombie Veto”, and could mean that some Indiana adoptees may be barred forever from EVER getting their records.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s